- Career Center
|NPA ADVANCE Clearinghouse - Educational Opportunities for Postdoctoral Supervisors|
Potential Interventions to Aid in Retaining Postdoc Women
A clearinghouse of promising practices
C. PROGRAMS: EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR POSTDOCTORAL SUPERVISORS
1. Mentoring training for postdoctoral advisors, including information on gender schemas (the implicit framework and biases we have about the relative gender roles; see ) and resources for “just in time” information.
2. Raise awareness among postdoctoral supervisors of issues involved with parental leave for postdocs and any existing policies. A critical part of this is fostering the establishment of clear communication with postdocs and finding ways to avoid negative consequences for taking leave.
3. Provide training to postdoctoral supervisors on performance evaluations, such as including information on avoiding evaluation bias and gender schemas .
4. Workshops/education on the job market, targeting postdocs and postdoc supervisors and mentors, in order to foster better understanding of career alternatives to PI track to better match skills and interests as well as avoid any "crisis of expectations" with academic job market
5. Develop “how to” brochure/information for letter of recommendation writers.These should be shared with both postdocs and faculty.
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 0819994. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.