The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) is pleased to offer travel awards for postdoctoral scholars to attend our 14th Annual Meeting, which will be held in Grand Rapids, Michigan, March 4 - 6, 2016. The awards will first cover registration and lodging and then travel expenses up to the limit of the award. Award amounts will vary, but the maximum amount awarded will be $1,000. You may also apply for the childcare support award in addition to the travel award. If you receive both awards, the maximum amount awarded will be $1000.
Awards will be competitively allocated and limited to one per institution. The number of awards granted will depend on the estimated cost of each application, and the amount of funds raised by the NPA*. Applicants are strongly encouraged to seek matching funds from their institutions and to include that information in their applications.
Deadline for submission: Friday, November 6, 2016
Goal | Eligibility | How to Submit | Restrictions | Questions
To ensure the broadest possible representation of postdoctoral scholars at the 14th Annual Meeting.
To be eligible for a travel award, the applicant must:
- Be a postdoctoral scholar.
- Be an NPA Full, Individual Member in good standing at the time of application –OR– be an Affiliate Member sponsored by an NPA Sustaining Member in good standing at the time of application. The applicant must have requested and been approved for Affiliate membership at the time of application.
Submit all required application materials by 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday, November 6, 2015.
We strongly encourage applications from postdoctoral scholars who:
- Are members of underrepresented minority groups within their field of study (group underrepresented in biomedical research, defined as people with disabilities, i.e., who have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; people from disadvantaged backgrounds; racial and ethnic groups such as blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos, American Indians or Alaskan Natives, and Native Hawaiians or other Pacific Islanders);
- Are pursuing research in the physical sciences, engineering, the humanities, and other disciplines outside of the life sciences;
- Have the support of their home institution, including matching travel funds;
- Have not received travel awards in the previous years;
- Are attending the NPA Annual Meeting for the first time;
- Are planning on creating or growing a postdoctoral association (PDA) or postdoctoral program at their institution;
- Are involved with a postdoctoral association (PDA) at their institution;
- Are from institutions not having received travel awards in previous years;
- Are interested in becoming more involved with the NPA and willing to serve on a committee of the membership;
- Are currently serving on a committee of the membership;
- Are presenting a poster or workshop at the 2016 Annual Meeting.
A successful application will include the following:
A completed application form: 2016 NPA Annual Meeting Travel Award form.
- One-page letter of intent which describes:
- Your interest and goals in attending the NPA’s 14th Annual Meeting.
- Your efforts to obtain travel funds from your institution or other organization, and the response.
- Your affiliation and postdoc status.
- Your contributions to your local postdoc community or PDA (if applicable).
- CV, résumé or biosketch.
- Budget justification for your expenses, which MUST include the Annual Meeting registration fee per person (approximately $285 for early-bird Full, Individual Members; approximately $335 for early-bird Affiliate Members) and lodging expenses for a minimum of two and a maximum of three nights at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, 187 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, ($134 per night plus taxes of approximately 15.50%). Other expenses may include:
- Airfare and/or ground transportation expenses
- Meal expenses while traveling
- Cost of the dine-around meal, excluding alcoholic beverages, on Friday evening.
Please submit all of the required application materials by 11:59 p.m. EST, Friday, November 6, 2015 using the 2016 Annual Meeting Travel Award submission form.
The travel awards selection committee will review all applications, and recipients will be notified no later than December 11, 2015.
*Please see "Restrictions" for more information on allowable expenses. Total award amounts will not exceed $1,000, and awards are often less and usually do not cover all of the expenses.
Travel expenses not allowed include:
- First class or business class travel;
- car rental fees;
- alcoholic beverages (including taxes and tips);
- meals purchased in lieu of meals provided as part of the Annual Meeting registration fee;
- other expenses deemed unreasonable by the travel awards selection committee.
Travel award recipients are required to attend all three days of the meeting. Travel award recipients are required to stay at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, 187 Monroe Ave NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503, for a minimum of two nights and a maximum of three nights.
Questions about the application process should be directed to Amy Wilson, NPA Office and Marketing Manager, by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 202-326-6424.
*To sponsor travel awards or other sessions for the 2016 NPA Annual Meeting, please view the 2016 Annual Meeting sponsorship opportunities.