Nominations Being Accepted for the 2021 Mentor Award
Friday, July 24, 2020
July 24, 2020
The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA), in partnership with Gallagher, would like
to announce the call for nominations for the 2021 NPA Gallagher Mentor Award, formerly the NPA Garnett-Powers & Associates, Inc. Mentor Award. The award recognizes a faculty member or advisor who has engaged in exceptional mentoring
of postdoctoral scholars.
The award recognizes a faculty member or advisor who has engaged in exceptional mentoring of postdoctoral scholars as exhibited by the following:
- Has advocated for postdoctoral scholars.
- Has been accessible and provided open lines of communication to postdoctoral scholars.
- Has embedded the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion to create effective culturally responsive mentoring relationships.
- Has created a supportive environment for research; has shown respect for the postdoctoral scholars' goals and assisted them in fulfilling those goals.
- Has provided them guidance in professional development, including, for example, encouraging the use of the Core Competencies for self-assessment and guidance, completing
an individual development plan, and assisting the postdoctoral scholars in building a professional network through generous sharing of contacts.
- Has demonstrated a sustained commitment to creating a productive working environment that enhances the overall postdoctoral experience.
- Has demonstrated resilience by pivoting to incorporate innovative approaches to support postdoctoral scholars during these challenging times.
The recipient of the NPA Gallagher Mentor Award will receive a plaque, an honorarium of $500, complimentary registration to the 2021 Annual Conference*, and a $1,000 travel stipend. The award will be presented at the 19th NPA Annual Conference,
April 16-18, 2021.
Last year’s Garnett-Powers & Associates, Inc. Mentor Award recipient was John Beacom, Ph.D.,
Henry L Cox professor of physics and astronomy at the Ohio State University. In 2019 he also received Ohio State’s Postdoc Mentor of the Year award.
Deadline for submission: Sunday, October 4, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. ET
To submit a nomination, postdocs should provide the following:
- Brief description of the nominee. Please include the nominee's full name, title, institution, and academic credentials.
- Essay describing why you believe that your nominee should receive the 2021 NPA Gallagher Mentor Award (1200-word limit). Consider addressing the following points:
- How your nominee provides "hands-on" professional development experiences for postdocs, such as writing papers or reviews and applying for grants/fellowships.
- How your nominee provides postdocs with guidance on networking and planning for their future careers.
- How your nominee maintains accessibility with postdoctoral scholars by consistently providing open lines of communication and helping them to become competent in communication.
- What are the philosophy, activities, characteristics, or traits of your nominee that make this person a truly outstanding mentor? Be sure to give specific examples.
- How the nominee's mentoring has benefited you personally (if applicable).
- A summary of the nominee's mentoring efforts, including, for example, the length of time that she or he has served as a mentor; the number of postdocs that the nominee has mentored; and examples of the success that these postdocs have had
under the mentor's guidance, especially regarding increased proficiency in any of the six NPA Core Competencies.
- How the nominee has influenced the quality of the postdoctoral experience on a local, regional, or national level.
- How the nominee has incorporated the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion into her/his approach to mentoring.
- How the nominee exhibited agility in the face of unprecedented global and national challenges.
- Up to three (3) supporting documents (e.g. letters of support from former postdocs within five years from completing their postdoctoral training and/or current postdoctoral scholars; newspaper, magazine, or journal articles).
Nominations will be accepted from postdoctoral scholars (anyone who is currently a postdoc or within five years of having completed postdoctoral training). Only postdocs are eligible to make nominations. Submit the nomination package
electronically as one pdf file by emailing it to email@example.com.
The official selection committee will be responsible for reviewing nominations and making a recommendation to the NPA Board of Directors, who will give final approval to the selection. The recipient will be notified in November 2020.
2020: John Beacom, Ph.D.
2019: Edward Krug, Ph.D.
2018: Leanne Redman, Ph.D., FTOS
2017: Malene Hansen, Ph.D.
2016: Shannon Manning, Ph.D., M.P.H.
2015: Jennifer Silk, Ph.D.
2014: Joel Elmquist, D.V.M., Ph.D.
2013: Rafael Muñoz‐Carpena, Ph.D.
2012: Tayyaba Hasan, Ph.D.
*Please note that the NPA appreciates the highly dynamic nature of the COVID-19 pandemic; and the NPA will continue to monitor
the situation closely in order to make informed decisions regarding travel.
**Title at the time the award was given