Apply to the Position of NPA International Officer
Thursday, March 19, 2020
March 19, 2020
The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) seeks applicants for the position of International Officer. The NPA has two International Officers. The International Officers are Board-appointed volunteer leaders within the NPA. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the International Officers provides expertise and advice on international matters affecting or likely to affect the postdoctoral community to the Board and executive director, NPA committee leaders, and to the NPA membership. The new International Officer will work along with the current International Officer and the International task force to address issues of relevance to international postdoctoral scholars.
This position offers opportunities to develop and hone leadership skills, expand professional networks, advance the mission of the NPA, and work with a great group of colleagues across the United States. Most business is accomplished via teleconference and email.
Application Deadline: Friday, April 3, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. ET
More than 60 percent of the postdoctoral scholars in the United States come from international backgrounds; the NPA is committed to addressing the issues faced by these individuals in the research and postdoc communities. To assist in this effort, the NPA relies on the International Officers. The International Officers serve as the public face of international postdoc issues for the NPA, and are the primary resource and expert advisors for the NPA Board of Directors, staff, and committees.
Responsibilities of the International Officer
- Provide advice to the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and Committees of the Membership on international issues and to assist on related projects;
- Work with the current International Officer and the international taskforce on active, ongoing projects of relevance to international postdocs;
- Actively engage with the Board and Committees of the Membership on broad, overarching, Annual Operating Plan tasks related to international postdoc issues;
- Monitor external policies and developments on international issues;
- Address public inquiries on the NPA policies and recommended practices on best practices to address issues faced by international postdocs within the research and postdoc communities; and
- Attend the NPA Annual Conference.
Desired Skill Sets
- Demonstrated team work skills in past/current position.
- Ability to organize and facilitate teleconference calls.
- Can meet deadlines effectively.
- Demonstrated effective and timely communication in the past.
- Strong project management skills.
- Knowledge of the breadth of the international postdoc experience.
The NPA is committed to achieving diversity and inclusiveness among its constituency, and advocates equality for all persons, regardless of race, ethnicity, sex, disability, country of origin, field of research, socio-economic status, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity, in all disciplines at all organizations that train postdocs. This commitment to diversity and inclusiveness extends to the practices and policies of the NPA, and the NPA strongly urges postdoctoral training institutions to embrace this commitment as part of their individual missions.
The NPA strives to ensure that all members have open access and opportunities to contribute to the organization through leadership positions, involvement within the committee structure, and participation in annual meetings and other NPA sponsored events. The NPA promotes advocacy for increased diversity among postdoctoral scholars and fosters diversity through activities, policies, and practices that are attuned to this commitment.
Eligibility is limited to members of the NPA, including Sustaining Member representatives. If you are not a member, please visit the Join the NPA page for membership details before applying.
All interested persons must submit a one (1) page application statement and a one (1) page CV detailing your leadership experience. The application statement should include:
- Applicant's qualifications for the position,
- What the applicant can bring to the position, and
- The applicant's interest and experience with the NPA and its mission.
All application statements must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April, 3 2020 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
Questions regarding the position should be directed to here.