DEADLINE EXTENDED: Leader Wanted to Serve as Co-Chair of the Meetings Committee
Wednesday, October 31, 2018
October 31, 2018
The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) is currently seeking a motivated and committed leader to serve as the next co-chair of the Meetings Committee. If you know someone who can fill this position (including yourself), please let us know.
This position is a great opportunity to develop or hone leadership skills, expand professional networks, advance the mission of the NPA, and work with a wonderful group of colleagues from across the United States. Most business is accomplished via teleconference, e-mail, and long-distance communications. Postdocs and administrators are strongly encouraged to consider service in this position.
Monday, November 12, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. ET Friday, November 23, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. ET
The Meetings Committee plans and coordinates the Annual Conference which is the showcase event of the NPA.
This committee interacts with all NPA committees, officers, and staff to develop programmatic content and works with the Outreach Committee to help advertise the conference. This committee offers an opportunity to network with postdocs and administrators from institutions across the country. It also provides a great way to develop management and organizational skills. There are many small tasks on this committee for individuals with limited availability.
Committee Co-Chair Responsibilities
- Consult with staff to identify and announce venues for the NPA Annual Conference;
- Consult with staff to develop agendas and programmatic content for meetings;
- Convene a fundraising team to work with the Development Committee to secure sponsors, exhibitors, and advertisers for the Annual Conference;
- Convene teams to solicit and recommend travel and service awards;
- Convene a team to identify topics and potential speakers for keynote and plenary presentations;
- Consult with staff and the Finance Committee to establish Annual Conference budget;
- Consult with staff and the Outreach Committee to market/advertise meetings;
- Complete post-meeting functions, including evaluation and debriefing activities; and,
- Consult with other committees, NPA staff and Officers to avoid project duplication and promote coordination.
General Position Description: Serving as Co-Chair
The co-chairs of the Meetings Committee are responsible for directing the efforts of the committee and leading monthly meetings via teleconference with the entire committee. The co-chairs also maintain regular contact, via email and teleconference, with other committee leaders to ensure continuity of existing efforts and avoid duplication of projects. The co-chairs will be expected to confirm that all projects and tasks undertaken by the committee toward the planning of the 2020 and 2021 Annual Conferences (in cooperation with the NPA Board of Directors, executive director, and staff) are in accordance with the goals of the NPA per the Strategic Plan and the Annual Operating Plan, and that those projects and tasks are completed in a timely manner. The co-chairs are responsible for orientation of new committee members. The co-chairs work with the Board liaison when submitting action items to the Board of Directors. The co-chairs are also expected to attend the Annual Conference and other required meetings for committee leaders during their terms of service. The incoming co-chair will be expected to shadow the current co-chairs for the 2019 conference, and will then begin to actively engage in planning for the 2020 and 2021 conferences.
Eligibility is limited to members of the NPA, including Sustaining Member representatives. If you are not a member, but you are interested in a position, visit Join the NPA for membership details.
All interested persons must submit a one (1) page application statement and a one (1) page CV detailing your leadership experience. The application statement should include:
- Applicant's qualifications for the position;
- What the applicant can bring to the position;
- The applicant’s interest and experience with the NPA and its mission.
All application statements must be emailed to email@example.com by November 12, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. ET.
To learn more about the position and the work required, please contact the co-chairs of the Meetings Committee.