NPA Seeks Diversity Officer
Tuesday, March 28, 2017
March 28, 2017
We are currently seeking a strong, dedicated and knowledgeable leader to serve as a Diversity Officer of the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA).
This position is a great opportunity to develop or hone leadership skills, expand professional networks, advance the mission of the NPA, and work with a wonderful group of colleagues from across the United States. Most business is accomplished via teleconference, e-mail, and long-distance communications. Qualified postdocs and administrators are strongly encouraged to consider service. If you know someone who can fill these positions (including yourself), let us know.
There are two Diversity Officer positions at the NPA, one of which is to be filled through this national search.
The NPA is committed to addressing diversity issues in the postdoc community. To assist in this effort, the NPA created the position of Diversity Officer.
- The Diversity Officers are the primary resource and expert advisors on diversity issues for the NPA Board of Directors and the staff.
- The Diversity Officers work with the NPA staff and the membership committees to ensure that the NPA’s commitment to addressing diversity issues in the postdoc community is fulfilled.
- Finally, the Diversity Officers serve as the public face of Diversity Postdoc issues for the NPA.
NPA Diversity Statement:
The NPA is committed to achieving diversity and inclusiveness among its constituency, and advocates equality for all postdocs, regardless of race, ethnicity, sex, disability, country of origin, field of research, socio-economic status, religion, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or gender identity, in all disciplines at all organizations that train postdoctoral fellows. This commitment to diversity and inclusiveness extends to the practices and policies of the NPA, and the NPA strongly urges postdoctoral training institutions to embrace this commitment as part of their individual missions.
The NPA strives to ensure that all members have open access and opportunities to contribute to the organization through leadership positions, involvement within the committee structure, and participation in annual meetings and other NPA sponsored events. The NPA promotes advocacy for increased diversity among postdoctoral scholars and fosters diversity through activities, policies, and practices that are attuned to this commitment.
The ideal candidate will have experience with the NPA and the postdoc community; will have relevant diversity expertise; and will understand diversity in the context of the higher education and research environments. The ideal candidate should be a postdoc administrator, and be well-connected in the diversity and higher education communities.
Responsibilities of the Diversity Officers are to:
- Provide advice to the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and Committees of the Membership on diversity issues and to assist on related projects;
- Actively engage with the Executive Director, Board and Committees of the Membership on broad, overarching tasks related to diversity issues in the postdoctorate;
- Monitor external policies and developments on diversity issues; and
- Address public inquiries on the NPA policies and recommended practices on increasing and maintaining diversity within the postdoc community.
All application statements for the Diversity Officer positions must be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, April 12, 2017.
If you are interested in being considered or have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Eligibility is limited to members of the NPA, including Sustaining Member representatives. If you are not a member but you are interested in a position, visit Join the NPA for membership details.
All interested persons must complete a one-page statement that describes:
- The applicant's qualifications for the position;
- What the applicant can bring to the position; and
- The applicant’s interest and experience with the NPA and its mission.
To apply, submit this statement and a one-page CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.