Volume 15, Issue 4 (April 2017)
In the NPA office, we are winding down from our 15th Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA. It was one of the best conferences yet, with over 400 attendees and an amazing group of speakers addressing the NPA. In addition to the excitement of the Annual Meeting, several developments have occurred that I feel are important to connect to the membership:
- Membership Expansion—The NPA is exploring the possibility of supporting early career PhD holders. A committee has been formed to review a possible membership option for PhD students who are considering a postdoc position. Stay tuned to learn details about this new direction and what this means for the NPA.
- NPA Career Center—The exciting new career center is up and running! This center is a great resource for graduate students looking for a postdoctoral position, for postdocs seeking full-time employment, and for organizations that would like to attract candidates with skills sets that graduate students and postdoctoral scholars have developed.
- myPostdoc Webinar Series—A key group of volunteers and staff have been working on a new education addition, a monthly webinar series called myPostdoc Monthly. On the first Wednesday of the month at 3 pm ET, a variety of topics will be presented that will focus on the postdoctoral community. Beginning this month, the myPDO Monthly webinar series will continue on the fourth Wednesday of the month at noon ET. This series provides information to those who are leading postdoc offices. Space is limited for both webinar series, so please make sure to register in advance for sessions you are interested in.
- Affiliate Campaign—If you are a postdoc at a Sustaining Member institution, you are eligible for free Affiliate membership in the NPA! As an Affiliate Member, you will be able to select what NPA news you would like to receive and guarantee that you don’t miss anything. You will also be able to access members-only NPA content, like recordings of the myPostdoc Monthly series. To make sure you are not left out, send your information to Kryste Ferguson, NPA membership manager.
- Strategic Planning—The NPA is actively working on the new strategic plan for the organization. A wise mentor once told me, “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there.” We want to be very deliberate in the direction the NPA is moving, and it is crucial that we create a quality plan that involves member input. The committee will be asking for your input, so please participate and give your feedback.
- 2018 Annual Conference—Mark your calendars for Cleveland 2018! Case Western Reserve University will host the NPA from April 6-8, 2018. The NPA will hold its annual conference in the shadow of Lake Erie and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. We will be staying at the historic Renaissance Cleveland Hotel, which boasts appearances in the holiday movie classic A Christmas Story. The Meetings Committee has begun work to bring in outstanding speakers and workshops. Plan a trip to explore why Drew Carey sang “Cleveland Rocks!”
2017 promises to be an exciting year at the NPA. Get involved!
Share on social media
Julie Fabsik-Swarts, MS, CFRE, CAP is executive director of the NPA.
Back to the Table of Contents | Next article