The Outreach Committee promotes the mission, values, goals, and business objectives of the NPA.
Interested in promoting the public image of the NPA while increasing your own personal network? This committee is always seeking outgoing, fun, and dependable individuals to increase the influence and visibility of the NPA through contacts with the media and professional societies. This committee is perfect for a “people-person.”
- Promote resources, projects, policy issues, events, and related activities of the NPA, in consultation with all committees.
- Develop and implement an annual marketing plan, in collaboration with the NPA Office & Marketing Manager.
- Develop and implement an annual Outreach campaign to recruit and retain NPA members.
- Cultivate relationships with news media and seek coverage of topics that support other committees’ work.
- Cultivate relationships with professional societies, industry, and other groups interested in postdoctoral issues.
- Expand member benefits through partnerships with organizations, businesses, and institutions.
- Consult with the Resource Development Committee to ensure that the NPA website is an effective tool for communicating the NPA’s mission.
- Consult with other committees and Officers to avoid project duplication and promote coordination.
Meet Our Outreach Committee Leaders
Outreach Committee Chair
Shakira Nelson, Ph.D.
Outreach Committee Vice Chair
|Shakira Nelson, Ph.D., is originally from Rochester, NY, and currently lives in Rockville, MD. She is a Cancer Prevention fellow at the National Cancer Institute, working in the Nutritional Epidemiology Branch where she focuses on diet, cancer, and health disparities. Nelson has a doctorate from The Pennsylvania State University in immunology and infectious diseases, and a Master of Public Health from The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. She has been a part of NPA since 2014.