The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) is pleased to offer new childcare awards for postdoctoral scholars to attend our 13th Annual Meeting, which will be held in Baltimore, Maryland, March 13 - 15, 2015. The awards will be used to cover childcare expenses while attending the Annual Meeting up to the limit of the award. Award amounts will vary, but the maximum amount awarded will be $500.
The awards, sponsored by the Elsevier Foundation, will be competitively allocated and limited to one per institution. The number of awards granted will depend on the estimated cost of each application, and the amount of funds raised by the NPA. Applicants are strongly encouraged to seek matching funds from their institutions and to include that information in their applications.
Deadline for submission: Monday, December 15, 2014
Goal | Eligibility | How to Submit | Restrictions | Questions
To support a family friendly NPA meeting and provide childcare support for both male and female parents who attend the Annual Meeting.
To be eligible for a childcare award, the applicant must:
Submit all required application materials by 11:59 p.m. EST on Monday, December 15, 2014.
- Be a postdoctoral scholar and parent.
- Be an NPA Full, Individual Member in good standing at the time of application –OR– be
an Affiliate Member sponsored by an NPA Sustaining Member in good
standing at the time of application.
- The applicant must have requested
and been approved for Affiliate membership at the time of application.
Priority selection criteria
We strongly encourage applications from postdocs who:
- Will not be able to attend the NPA Annual Meeting without support for childcare.
- Are first-time meeting attendees.
Are members of underrepresented minority groups within their field of study. Group underrepresented in biomedical research, defined as people with disabilities, i.e., who have a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; people from disadvantaged backgrounds; racial and ethnic groups such as blacks or African Americans, Hispanics or Latinos, American Indians or Alaskan Natives, and Native Hawaiians or other Pacific Islanders.
Pursue research in the physical sciences, engineering, the humanities, and other disciplines in addition to the life sciences.
- Have the support of their home institution, including institutionally provided childcare support for travel.
A successful application will include the following:
- A completed application form: 2015 Annual Meeting Childcare Award Application.
- Description of circumstances that prompt you to request this award including:
- how support for childcare will help you to attend the NPA Meeting.
- inquiries you made at your home institution to obtain institutionally provided childcare support for travel
- CV, résumé or biosketch.
- Expenses for caregiver will be covered. The total award amount will not exceed $500. The following options are offered:
- Expenses for home-based childcare that incur because of attendance at the NPA Annual Meeting.
- Expenses for childcare outside your home that incur because of attendance at the NPA Annual Meeting.
- Expenses for caregiver to accompany you to the NPA Annual Meeting such as transportation, meals etc.:
- Expenses for childcare at/near the meeting location (hotel referred).
- Other (please explain on the submission form).
- Please submit all of the required application materials by 11:59 p.m. EST, Friday December 15, 2014, using the submission form: 2015 Annual Meeting Childcare Award Application.
- The childcare support awards selection committee will review all applications, and recipients will be notified no later than January 31, 2014.
*Please see "Restrictions" for more information on allowable expenses. Total award amounts will not exceed $500, and awards are often less and usually do not cover all of the expenses. Receipts for review must include caretaker name, address, tax ID and/or Social Security number.
- Travel expenses not allowed include: first class or business class travel; car rental fees; alcoholic beverages (including taxes and tips); meals purchased in lieu of meals provided as part of the Annual Meeting registration fee; sightseeing; and other expenses deemed unreasonable by the childcare awards selection committee.
- Childcare support award recipients are required to stay at the Baltimore Marriott Inner Harbor at Camden Yards for a minimum of two nights and a maximum of three nights ($134 per night plus taxes of approximately 15.50 %).
Childcare support award recipients are required to attend all three days of the meeting.
Questions about the application process should be directed to Amy Wilson, NPA Office and Marketing Manager, by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 202-326-6424.
2015 Annual Meeting Childcare Award Application