The National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) Distinguished Service Award (DSA) is presented yearly as part of the NPA Annual Meeting. The award represents appreciation for an individual or entity that has demonstrated either a profound, sustained, or leadership contribution to improving the postdoctoral experience. The award is presented in alternating years to either an individual or entity. In 2013, the award will be presented to an entity.
2013 Nomination Process
Deadline for submission: Monday, 29 October 2012
To submit a nomination, please provide the following:
1. Brief description of the nominee (250-word limit)
2. Letter(s) of nomination/support for the nominee
3. Up to three (3) supporting documents (for example, publications or websites)
Submit the nomination package electronically by emailing it to email@example.com.
In addition to nominations received from the general public, members of the DSA Nominating Committee will be asked to identify dynamic organizations deserving of this year's honor. Each member will be asked to identify at least one entity, which will be added to the candidate pool.
The DSA Selection Committee will be responsible for reviewing nominations and selecting three candidates from these nominations. These three candidates will be submitted to the NPA Board of Directors for the final selection. Current DSA Selection Committee members are not allowed to submit nominations.
2004: Ruth Kirschstein, M.D., Senior Advisor to the Director, National Institutes of Health
2005: National Academies' Committee on Science, Engineering and Public Policy
2006: Laurel L. Haak, Ph.D., Science Director, Discovery Logics
2007: Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology
2008: Shirley Malcom, Ph.D., Director, Education and Human Resources Programs, American Association for the Advancement of Science
2009: The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
2010: Trevor Penning, Ph.D., Director, Center for Excellence in Environmental Toxicology (CEET), University of Pennsylvania
2011: Science Careers and The Gladstone Institutes
2012: Philip Clifford, Ph.D., Associate Dean Medical College of Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Walter Goldschmidts, Ph.D., Executive Director of Sponsored Programs, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
- Laurel Haak, Ph.D., Executive Director, ORCI
- Joan Lakoski, Ph.D., Associate Vice Chancellor for Science Education Outreach, Health Sciences, University of Pittsburgh; Professor of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology and Professor in the Clinical and Translational Science Institute, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Joel Oppenheim, Ph.D., Senior Associate Dean, New York University Medical School
- Lorraine Tracey, Ph.D., Chair, NPA Board of Directors, DSA Committees
- Rachel Bergerson, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Scholar, the University of Chicago
- Caroline Rotondi, Administrative Director, Office for Research Careers (ORC), Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Dave Taylor, Ph.D., Oversight officer, NPA Board of Directors, Academic Programs Officer, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Steve Wendell, Ph.D., Research Assistant Professor, University of Pittsburgh; Assistant Director, Postdoctoral Development, Office of Academic Career Development at University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Science