2010 National Postdoc Appreciation Week
September 20-24, 2010
Scroll down to see the 2010 events!
Schedule of Events
- The University of Alabama will have a lunch for postdocs at the Campus Recreation Center from 11:30 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Friday, September 24.
- The University of California, Berkeley will host a wine and cheese reception in conjunction with a postdoc poster session at the Bancroft Hotel near campus on Thursday, September 23.
- The UC Davis Postdoctoral Scholars Association will organize a happy hour on Thursday, September 23 from 5:30 PM onwards, at Sophia's Thai Kitchen, Davis.
- Los Angeles
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center will be celebrating the 1st birthday of its Postdoc Society and the launch of its Postdoctoral Scientist Program with an open house event on Friday, September 24 from 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM. We will be profiling a variety of resources for postdocs and their mentors, and there will be cake! Followed by Happy Hour at the 3rd Stop. On Wednesday, September 22 the Postdoc Society will get together at Barney's Beanery with postdoc neighbors, and on Thursday, September 23 will host a postdoc and graduate student lunch.
- The University of California, Los Angeles, (UCLA) Postdoctoral Society (postdoc.ucla.edu) will be organizing on September 24, UCLA Postdoctoral Appreciation Day. The society will give free coffee, cookies and t-shirts to UCLA postdocs. We will have special booths placed around the campus where we will interact with the UCLA community and discuss the importance of postdocs for the university's research efforts.
- La Jolla
- The La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology will host a happy hour on September 24 and an ice cream break during National Postdoc Appreciation Week.
- Scripps Research Institute's Career and Postdoctoral Services Office invites all postdocs to visit the new Career Resource Center on the 3rd Floor of the 3377 building. Housed in the new Graduate Office, the Resource Center offers a variety of books, handouts, and electronic resources for the Institute's trainees. Stop by our open house on Thursday, September 23 to enjoy free coffee and donuts from 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM, and enter a raffle to win great prizes:
- Two tickets to Disneyland
- A 15-minute massage from Relief Unlimited
- Scripps apparel
- Gift cards
- And more!
The Institute's Postdoctoral Association, the Society of Fellows, will host a Happy Hour to coincide with National Postdoc Appreciation Week.
- Los Angeles
- The Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California Postdoctoral Association (Keck PDA) is organizing a "Postdoc Survival Workshop" and an Ice Cream Social on the September 21. The Keck PDA has compiled a Postdoc Handbook, that will be distributed to the attendees of the events.
- The Postdoctoral Associations and Training offices of City of Hope, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, USC and Caltech invite you to the 2nd Annual celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week. Join your fellow postdocs at Barney's Beanery (99 E. Colorado Blvd) on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 from 6:00 PM -9:00 PM to celebrate.
- San Francisco
- The J. David Gladstone Institutes will be celebrating National Postdoc Appreciation Week on Tuesday, September 21 will be big BBQ Picnic.
- The University of California, San Francisco's Postdoctoral Scholars Association (PSA) cordially invites you to its National Postdoc Appreciation Week celebration on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM. The mega happy hour celebrating UCSF postdocs will take place at the UCSF Mission Bay, Koret Quad at 600 16th Street in San Francisco. Festivities include free snacks, drinks, and music.
- Stanford University's Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and the Bechtel International Center are sponsoring a university-wide BBQ and Resource Fair for postdoctoral scholars, faculty mentors and their families on Friday, September 24 from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM at the Bechtel Center courtyard on campus. The event is organized by the Stanford University Postdoctoral Association and brings participants from the School of Medicine and Stanford University Career Development Centers, the Faculty and Staff Help Center, Lane Medical Library, Parking and Transportation Services, the Work Life Office and many others. The event will also feature kids' entertainment!
- McMaster University's Office of Postdoctoral Affairs in the School of Graduate Studies celebrates National Postdoc Appreciation Week with a Postdoctoral Fellow Appreciation Reception on Tuesday, September 28 from 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM at TwelveEighty. RSVP by September 24 to Kris Gadjanski at gadjank [at] mcmaster.ca.
- On Friday, September 24, the University of Colorado Denver's Postdoctoral Association will celebrate National Postdoc Appreciation Day by holding the first ever General Assembly of the two-campus wide postdoc population. This annual assembly is now mandated by the UCD-PDA Charter that was approved last January. Officers and members of the Executive Council will be introduced, and social events and plans for a seminar series will be announced. Attendees will be able to network while enjoying food and drink.
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, the University of Colorado, Boulder will host a postdoc happy hour on Thursday, September 23 from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM in the British Studies room, Norlin Library. RSVP at http://www.colorado.edu/pac/Events/RSVP_Form.html.
- New Haven
- Yale University will be hosting a postdoc mixer from 7:00 PM - 11:00 PM on Wednesday, September 22 at GPSCY to celebrate National Postdoc Appreciation Week.
- A group of local postdoctoral leaders will host Cathee Johnson Phillips, Executive Director of NPA, at the University of Florida. She will present a workshop on NPA and postdoc career concerns to both postdocs and graduate students on Monday, September 13 at 2:00 PM in the McKnight Brain Institute (LG-101). Ms. Johnson Phillips will also be meeting with Dr. Win Phillips (Senior Vice President of Research), Dr. Kenneth J. Gerhardt (Senior Associate Dean of the Graduate School), and Human Resources.
- Scripps Florida and the Society of Research Fellows would like to thank our Research Associates with an Ice Cream Social & Raffle Drawing on Thursday, September 23 from 12:30 PM - 2:00 PM. Come enjoy delicious Kilwin's Ice Cream while you learn more about what the Society of Research Fellows can do for you and how you can get involved. Hear about professional development and outreach opportunities and get a raffle ticket with an opportunity to win one of many great prizes!
- Florida State University's newly formed Postdoctoral Career Development Program (PDCP) will host this inaugural event in honor of National Postdoc Appreciation Week -- the "Elevator Talks" workshop -- at the FSU College of Medicine on Friday, September 24, 2010 at 4:00 PM in Room 1306 at the College of Medicine. Come join other FSU postdocs for this important workshop that focuses on communicating your message and marketing yourself to prospective employers and other contacts. Lisa Blakley, Director of Commercialization at the FSU Office of IP Development and Commercialization, will lead the workshop. Refreshments will be served. This program will serve all postdocs at FSU and the nearby National High Magnetic Field Laboratory. Please RSVP to Jonquil Livingston (
) by Tuesday, September 21, 2010.
- The Postdoc Association at the Moffitt Cancer Center at the University of South Florida will host a reception on Thursday, September 30 from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM in the David Murphey Conference Room, Stabile Research Building to welcome new postdocs and celebrate National Postdoc Appreciation Week. Cake and coffee will be served and a drawing for doorprizes will be held.
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, the University of South Florida's Office of Postdoctoral Affairs will be hosting a Postdoctoral Coffee Social on Wednesday, September 22, 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM in the Marshall Student Center (MSC 3711). This postdoctoral social/networking event is open to all USF postdoctoral scholars and is sure to be a great opportunity for socializing and networking.
- On September 24 from 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM, The University of Georgia Postdoctoral Association will be hosting a Grant-Writing Seminar by Dr. Shelley Payne, followed by a reception at the Paul D. Coverdell Center.
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, the University of Chicago's Postdoctoral Association will host a screening of the movie Naturally Obsessed: The Making of a Scientist from 5:00 PM - 7:30 PM. The movie will be followed by a discussion and reception. The event is sponsored by the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs. Click here for more details.
- Indiana University - Bloomington's Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and University Graduate School will celebrate National Postdoc Appreciation Week with a series of events on Tuesday, September 21 from 12:00 PM - 2:30 PM.
- Noon - 1:00 PM, Ballantine Hall 144: Address by Stacy Gelhaus, Chair of the Board of Directors of the National Postdoctoral Association (NPA). Dr. Gelhaus is a postdoctoral scholar at the University of Pennsylvania. She will speak on issues addressed by the NPA in support of the postdoctoral community. Her talk should be of interest to postdoctoral scholars, faculty mentors, and aspiring postdoctoral scholars. Please join us and bring lunch.
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM, Ballantine Hall 144: Roundtable discussion on postdoctoral opportunities in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. Steve Watt, Associate Dean, College of Arts and Sciences, will moderate a panel comprised of three IU postdoctoral scholars who are currently funded by the American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS). This roundtable discussion should be of interest to graduate students and faculty in the humanities and social sciences. Light refreshments will be served in the Jordan Hall Atrium.
- 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM, Jordan Hall Atrium: Poster Session for postdoctoral scholars in the Sciences where postdocs can share their work and meet other postdocs.
- The Indiana University School of Medicine invites all postdocs and PIs to take a break, connect with postdocs from other labs, and join in for coffee and donuts as the university celebrates National Postdoc Appreciation Day! Pick up your "IUSM Postdocs Rock!" button. Drop by R3 - 2nd Floor Atrium on Friday, September 24 from 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM.
- West Lafayette
- The Purdue University Postdoc Association (PPDA) will host the 2010 Call-out on September 24th from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at the Purdue's Stewart Center in room 202 (STEW 202). The event will feature a presentation titled "One year anniversary of the PPDA - Status and Future Directions," and a panel and public discussion on the PPDA. Snacks and drinks will be provided.
- Iowa State University's Postdoctoral Association will celebrate National Postdoc Appreciation Week with a picnic on September 24 at the Hickory Shelter in Brookside Park from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM.
- Iowa City
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, The University of Iowa Office of Postdoctoral Scholars will host a barbecue lunch from 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM on Thursday, September 23 for all UI postdoctoral scholars and fellows. Associate Provost/Dean of the Graduate College, John Keller, and UI Vice President for Research, Jordan Cohen, will welcome the institution's postdocs. Meet and mingle with your colleagues. The BBQ will be held on the patio of the John Pappajohn Business Building. Registration is required. Please RSVP at http://postdoc.grad.uiowa.edu/postdoc-appreciation.
- Kansas City
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, the University of Kansas Medical Center will host a wine and cheese reception on Thursday, September 23 from 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM in 1005/1007 Beller Conference Room at the Hemenway Life Sciences Center. No RSVP is required.
- As part of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, the University of Louisville is sponsoring a postdoc luncheon on Friday, September 24 at noon. The luncheon will feature a seminar on making the transition from a postdoc role to independent, faculty positions. Door prizes will also be given away.
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, the Maine Medical Center Research Institute will host an ice cream social on Friday, September 24 from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM in the main conference room at 81 Research Drive.
- Johns Hopkins University's Postdoctoral Association is expanding it's National Postdoc Appreciation BBQ in size and activities. This year's event will be held on Thursday, September 23 at the Hopkins Turner Courtyard from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM. The BBQ will be open to School of Medicine Fellows and their guests, as well as School of Public Health and Nursing Fellows. The NPA's Executive Director, Cathee Johnson Phillips, will be the Honored Speaker at the opening of the Appreciation BBQ. Click here for a full list of the event's activities.
- The University of Maryland, Baltimore will host a coffee break (with refreshments) on September 24 from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM to showcase the outstanding achievements of our postdocs and also celebrate the launch of UMB's new Office of Postdoctoral Scholars. All faculty advisors are encouraged to attend this networking reception. Additional details can be found here.
- The National Institutes of Health (NIH) will host a variety of events in celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week. The first event will be held on September 18 at the Bethesda campus. Other events will be held throughout the week at the Baltimore, Bethesda, Executive Blvd., Frederick, NIEHS, RML, and Twinbrook campuses. View the list of 2010 NIH Appreciation Week Events.
- College Park
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation week, the University of Maryland, College Parkwill host a celebration on Friday, September 24 at 2:00 PM in Room 1103 of the Bioscience Research Building. The event will feature the accomplishments of postdoc association members, their contributions to the campus and to the community, and the successes of our Association from the year. In addition, we will be having a poster session at which all post-docs are encouraged to present their research; the best poster at the event will receive a prize! Post-docs who will present a poster should RSVP to
by September 20. Refreshments will be served. Visit the Web site for updates.
- The Frederick/Ft. Detrick postdocs of the National Cancer Institute will host a series of events in celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week. Events will take place in or around the Conference Center (Building 549).
- Monday, September 20, 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM: Panel of Former NCI-Frederick Postdocs
- Tuesday, September 21, 11:00 AM - 1:30 PM: Postdoc Booth at the Farmer's Market, Picture, popsicles and giveaways
- Wednesday September 22, 2:30 PM - 3:30 PM: NCI-Frederick Postdoc Seminar Series (Speakers TBA), 1:00 PM -2:30 PM; Career Development Seminar, Ric Weibl, Director, Center for Careers in Science and Technology, AAAS
- Thursday, September 23, 1:30 PM-3:30 PM: Popcorn and a Movie: Naturally Obsessed
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, Brigham and Women's Hospital's Office for Research Careers (ORC) presents "Improbable Research and the Ig Nobel Prizes" on Thursday, September 23 from 4:30 PM - 7:00 PM at the Bornstein Family Amphitheater. Marc Abrahams, editor and co-founder of the science humor magazine Annals of Improbable Research (AIR) and its Web site, www.improbable.com, will speak at the event, which will be followed by a reception. Click here for more details and to register.
- Children's Hospital of Boston's Office of Fellowship Training is hosting its monthly fellows' pizza social to coincide with National Postdoc Appreciation Day on Friday, September 24, 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM. The event will feature a "welcome" cake and will include games and prizes.
- The Dana-Farber Cancer Institute will host a variety of events in celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week such as:
- Tuesday, September 21, 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Brain Lunch Postdoc Presentation
- Wednesday, September 22, 3:00 PM - 4:30PM: Ice-cream Social
For more information, please contact Brooke Johnson.
- Friday, September 24, 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM: Postdoc and Graduate Student Retreat featuring keynote speaker, Robert Langer, Ph.D. and special lecturer, Peter Fiske, Ph.D.
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, the Harvard School of Public Health's Office of Faculty Affairs and Postdoctoral Association (PDA) will host a reception for postdocs and mentors on Thursday, September 23, from 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM in the Kresge cafeteria. Winners of the PDA Mentor Award and Travel Award will be announced. For more information, please e-mail
- In honor of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, the Massachusetts General Hospital Postdoc Association is organizing a BBQ and networking event on September 24 from 4:30 PM - 7:30 PM. The event will take place on the lawn behind Charlestown Navy Yard building 114. All MGH postdocs are invited to attend, please see the following link for more info: http://www2.massgeneral.org/mgpa/docs/BBQ Flyer.pdf.
- Woods Hole
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution will host a community-wide picnic on Wednesday, September 22 for the postdocs, postdoc sponsors/advisors, and their families from Woods Hole's six main scientific organizations (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, the Marine Biological Laboratory, the National Marine Fisheries Service, the U.S. Geological Survey, the Sea Education Association, and the Woods Hole Research Center).
- The University of Massachusetts Medical School is celebrating Postdoc Appreciation Day on Thursday, September 23 with a presentation to postdocs and graduate students (i.e. - future postdocs) by Cornelia Dean, former Science editor at the NY Times and author of the book "Am I Making Myself Clear?" on the importance of scientists being able to communicate their science to the general public. An ice cream bar reception and social will follow the talk.
- Ann Arbor
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation day, University of Michigan postdocs, along with their families and mentors, are invited to enjoy games, merriment and good old BBQ food at the fall picnic on September 24 at 4:00 PM at Island Park in Ann Arbor. The UMMS Office of Postdoctoral Studies and UM Postdoc Association are sponsoring this free event, and RSVPs are appreciated. Find more details and register by visiting http://sitemaker.umich.edu/postdoc_appreciation/registration_form.
- East Lansing
- The Michigan State University Post-doctoral Office and Post-doctoral Association are jointly sponsoring a networking and resources fair for postdocs and research associates on Friday, September 24. The event will feature the offices and agencies that support the professional development of the organization's postdoctoral scholars and will feature remarks by Dr. Ian Gray, MSU Vice President for Research and Graduate Studies.
- St. Louis
- Washington University will be hosting a PI-Postdoc Happy Hour on September 23 at 4:00 PM in the Hearth Room, Farrell Learning and Teaching Center at the Washington University School of Medicine. All Washington University postdocs and their faculty advisors are invited to attend!
- The University of Nebraska - Lincoln will host a National Postdoc Appreciation Day reception on September 23 from 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM at their Van Brunt Visitors Center. Postdocs, PI's, faculty, and administrators are invited to attend. Register by September 16.
- Dartmouth College postdocs and graduate students are invited to the Future Faculty Reception and Postdoc Appreciation Celebration on Wednesday, September 22 from 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM in the DCAL reception area of the Baker Library. Please join us to talk about Dartmouth Center for the Advancement of Learning (DCAL) workshops, services, and outreach opportunities. It's also a great time to say thanks to a postdoc during National Postdoc Appreciation Week. Hosted by the Dartmouth College Postdoc Association (DCPDA), Nancy Serrell (Director of Outreach), and Cindy Tobery (Associate Director of DCAL).
- The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) and the Postdoctoral Association of UMDNJ & Rutgers University invite you to attend their Postdoctoral/Graduate Career Symposium on September 22 from 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School-UMDNJ, Piscataway Campus. The event's keynote speaker is Stuart W. Peltz, Ph.D., President & CEO of PTC Therapeutics, Inc. Invited speakers include Kelly Mack, Ph.D., ADVANCE Program Director at the National Science Foundation (NSF) in Washington, DC, and Bruce Wightman, Professor of Biology at Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA.
Special thanks to the NPAD Organizing Committee: Dr. Sandra Chesoni, Dr. Aurora Costache, Dr. Marius Costache, Dr. Malvika Kaul and Dr. Gauri Kulkarni, UMDNJ/Rutgers Postdoctoral Association (PDA) Officers, UMDNJ and Rutgers University and Dr. Martha Soto, Director, Postdoctoral Career Development Program, RWJMS-UMDNJ.
The Abstract Submission deadline is September 1 and registration closes on September 10. Find more details and register here.
- Sandia National Laboratories celebrated National Postdoc Appreciation week by hosting a cake and coffee social/networking event on September 23. Statements of recognition from postdoc managers and advisors of work that specific postdocs have done on projects in their laboratories were presented at the event.
- The Belfer Institute of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine is hosting a party in celebration of postdocs on Wednesday, September 22 in the Glass Cafe, from 4:00 PM - 6:30 PM. Food and drink will be served, and all Einstein postdocs are invited to attend.
- The University at Buffalo will be hosting two appreciation events during National Postdoc Appreciation Week. On September 23, there will be a luncheon for postdocs at 12:00 PM on the South Campus. Friday, September 24 will feature a postdoc appreciation reception from 3:30 PM - 5:30 PM on the North Campus.
- On Thursday, September 30, in celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Day, Cornell University's Office of Postdoctoral Studies and the Postdoc Advisory Committee are presenting a poster session for all Cornell Postdocs to share their work, and meet each other. The session seeks to be all-inclusive with Postdocs from: Arts and Humanities, Health and Life Sciences (including Weill Medical Center), Engineering, Physical Sciences and Mathematics, and the Social and Behavioral Sciences. The event will include a reception and all are invited to attend.
- In recognition of the 2nd Annual National Postdoc Appreciation Day, the Weill Cornell Medical College Post-Doctoral Association and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs invite all postdoctoral trainees, graduate students and faculty to an ice cream social event on September 24 from 3:30 PM - 4:30 PM in the Harkness Atrium (adjacent to 1300 York Ave. entrance). Rain location: Archbold Commons.
- New York
- In celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, Columbia University is hosting a Wine & Cheese Reception on Wednesday, September 22 from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM. All Columbia Postdocs are invited to attend. For more information, please visit the events calendar at www.postdocs.columbia.edu.
- The New York University Medical Center will host a Town Hall Meeting on Friday, September 24 at 3:00 PM, which will be followed by a barbecue featuring music, food and drinks, and giving out great t-shirts!
- The Sloan-Kettering Institute's Office of Postdoctoral Affairs presents the Ice Cream Sundae & Cup Cake Social for Postdoctoral Researchers on Wednesday, September 22 from 5:30 PM - 7:00 PM in the Student and Faculty Club. Come join your colleagues as we celebrate the significant contribution that postdoctoral researchers make to Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the U.S. scientific research enterprise. An appreciation gift will be distributed to all postdoctoral researchers. For further information about this event, please contact Denise Cruz, Administrator, Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, at
- The University of Rochester Medical Center will host a series of events in celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week. Full details are available on their Web site.
- Monday, September 20: Stop by the Office for Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs for a cup of coffee and meet the staff!
- Tuesday, September 21: Webinar. Check Web site for details.
- Wednesday, September 22: Brown Bag Lunch and Talk, "Postdoc-Centered Services and Opportunities" by Burt Nadler, Director, College Career Center
- Thursday, September 23: Postdoc Poster Session
- Friday, September 24: Postdoc Reception
- Chapel Hill
- The University of North Carolina Postdoc Association and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs will be hosting a Rita's Gourmet Ice Cream Social on Friday, September 24, from 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM in the courtyard between the Bondurant and Carrington Buildings for all UNC-CH Postdocs and their faculty mentors. Postdocs can register for raffle for gift baskets and giveaways, participate in meditation or yoga session and/or purchase UNC PDA T-shirts. For after-hours fun, the UNC Postdoc Association will be gathering in the evening at the Carolina Inn for Fridays on the Front Porch. This fun event features live bluegrass music, a southern picnic buffet, drink specials, and comfortable seating on the shady front porch and lawn. On Saturday, September 25, The UNC Postdoctoral Association is hosting a Postdoc Picnic for the whole family at Hank Anderson Community Park, Hwy 54 West, Carrboro, NC 27510 for the whole family. Food will be catered by Breadmans. Cost is $5.00 for each adult (kids under 12 eat for free). For more information visit: http://postdocs.unc.edu/?q=node/26.
- Monday, September 20 from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM, North Carolina State University's Vice Chancellor for Research, Dr. Terri Lomax, is hosting a "Research After Hours" for postdocs, which will include live music and food at a restaurant close to the university.
- Research Triangle Park
- The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), NIH will host a celebration on Friday, September 24 at 1:00 PM in the Rodbell Auditorium. There will be an NIEHS trainees general assembly meeting featuring a short presentation by the NIEHS director and the new acting scientific director, which will be followed at 2:00 PM with with a group photo, ice cream social and a trivia contest for postdocs and their PIs.
- The Wake Forest University Postdoctoral Association and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences will host "Postdoc Community Coffee Breaks" on Friday, September 24 at Java by Jeff from 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM and at the campus Starbucks from 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM.
- The University of Cincinnati's Postdoc Association is hosting an event on September 24. The invited speaker is Brianna Blaser, project director of the Outreach Program from Science magazine, whom will give two seminars, one on Networking and the other on Careers Away from the Bench. In between the talks, there will also be informational tables showcasing programs available on campus that promote professional development.
- The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) will kick off the week with a keynote talk by Dr. Ahna Skop, titled "Genetically an artist: How the arts influenced my career in science" on Monday, September 20 from 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM. CHOP will also host a postdoc happy hour on Friday, September 24 from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM.
- The Thomas Jefferson University will host a wine and cheese reception on Thursday, September 23 from 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM for all postdocs in the 4th floor lobby and terrace of the Hamilton Building. The reception will also include brief remarks by the Dean of the College and the Associate Dean for Postdoctoral Affairs.
- The University of Pennsylvania's Biomedical Postdoctoral Council invites all UPenn and CHOP postdocs to celebrate National Postdoc Appreciation Week at a free happy hour on September 23 from 2:30 PM - 4:30 PM in the BRB Lobby.
- The University of Pittsburgh is holding an Annual Fall Family Picnic for all postdocs and their families on Tuesday, September 21, 2010 from 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM. This event is sponsored by the University of Pittsburgh Postdoctoral Association. The Office of Academic Career Development, Health Sciences and University of Pittsburgh Postdoctoral Association are also sponsoring "Lunch On Us," distributing $5 Meal Tickets to all postdocs during Postdoc Appreciation week that are redeemable at any of the Medical Center's cafeterias.
- University Park
- Penn State University (University Park campus) will host a professional development workshop, " The Craft of Scientific Writing" for its postdocs, followed by a reception with the Assistant Dean of the Graduate School on September 24 from 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM. In addition, on November 1, the university will host a Postodoc Luncheon with the Vice President for Research/Dean of the Graduate School from 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM, which will include research presentations from several current Postdoc scholars.
- Brown University will host its 4th Annual Postdoc Resource & Networking Event on Friday, September 24 from 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM in Andrews Dining Hall. Over 20 tables presenting support offices and information on valuable services and benefits will be available. New postdoc benefits will be presented. Refreshments will be served and themed conversation tables will be available to serve as ice breakers to encourage networking.
- The Savannah River National Laboratory (SRNL) will celebrate the 2nd annual National Postdoc Appreciation Week, September 20-24th. Postdocs will also be recognized at a luncheon on September 30 in the Courtyard of Malia's Restaurant, 120 Laurens Street, SW, Aiken, SC. A short program will preview and begin SRNL's NPA Chapter activities for the coming year.
- The Medical University of South Carolina will be having a noon-time Ice Cream Social in the Basic Science Building (BSB) hosted by the Postdoctoral Association and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs. There will be ice cream, all the extras, games, prizes and music as well as a poster highlighting the postdocs' efforts on campus for faculty and postdocs to see. In the evening there will be a happy hour get together at Fuel or Salty Mike's with trivia and games at a local venue.
- St. Jude Children's Hospital will host several events in celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week. On September 23 refreshments and goodie bags will be on hand, and Dr. Audrey Murrell of the University of Pittsburgh will host a seminar. September 24 features a postdoc social and on Saturday, September 25join in for family day, lunch, and networking from 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM at the Memphis Zoo. The Postdoctoral Annual General Meeting will be held on Monday, September 27.
- Vanderbilt University will be celebrating National Postdoc Appreciation Week at its annual family picnic for postdocs and their families on Thursday, September 23 from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM at Fannie Mae Dees Park. The picnic will be catered by Famous Dave's BBQ and will feature door prizes and magic and balloon art for the kids.
- The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center will host two events during National Postdoc Appreciation Week. There will be a Happy Hour on Thursday, September 23 from 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM at The Gingerman and an Appreciation Breakfast on Friday, September 24 from 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM in the NA7 Atrium on North Campus.
- The University of Texas Medical Branch will celebrate National Postdoc Appreciation Week with the following events:
- Monday, September 20, 7:00 AM - 10:00 AM: Morning coffee break, Levin Hall Foyer
- Tuesday, September 21-23, 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM: Nuts & Bolts of Scientific Writing, Dining room
- Tuesday, September 21, 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Mentoring seminar w/Jim Goodwin, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM 3.320 Levin
- Wednesday, September 22, 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Junior faculty panel discussion on their experiences in obtaining faculty appointments, 3.320 Levin
- Thursday, September 23, 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Afternoon coffee break, Jamail Student Center
- Friday, September 24
- 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Postdoc Appreciation Day, Basic Science Auditorium
- 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Reception, Levin Hall Foyer
- The Trainee and Alumni Affairs, Faculty Development, and the Postdoctoral Association of the MD Anderson Cancer center will open a month of special activities for postdocs beginning on Wednesday, September 22.
- Wednesday, September 22
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Coffee Break and Appreciation Gift Distribution, BSRB, 3rd floor lobby. Coffee Break sponsored by the MD Anderson Postdoctoral Association Executive Committee. Gift provided by Trainee and Alumni Affairs' Office of Research Trainee Programs.
- Thursday, September 23, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Coffee Break and Appreciation Gift Distribution, SCRB, 1st floor lobby. Coffee Break sponsored by the MD Anderson Postdoctoral Association Executive Committee. Gift provided by Trainee and Alumni Affairs' Office of Research Trainee Programs.
- Friday, September 24, 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Coffee Break and Appreciation Gift Distribution, CPB, 2nd floor lobby. Coffee Break sponsored by the MD Anderson Postdoctoral Association Executive Committee. Gift provided by Trainee and Alumni Affairs' Office of Research Trainee Programs.
- Wednesday, September 29, 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM: Charting New Territory: The Postdoc Transition to Faculty, R11.11, Rooms 1, 2, 7, 8. Sponsored by Faculty Development, the MD Anderson Postdoctoral Association, and Trainee and Alumni Affairs.
- Friday, October 1, 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM: Secrets of the Science Job Market featuring Dave Jensen, AT&T Auditorium (B2.4750). Sponsored by Faculty Development and Trainee and Alumni Affairs.
- Thursday, October 7, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Postdoktoberfest, TMC Commons. Co-sponsored by Baylor College of Medicine, UT Health, and MD Anderson Trainee and Alumni Affairs' Office of Research Trainee Programs.
- Tuesday, October 19 and Wednesday, October 20: PDA Annual Kick-off Event featuring Suzanne E. Fisher, Ph.D., Center for Scientific Review, NIH, and Judith Podskalny, Ph.D., Division of Digestive Diseases and Nutrition, NIDDK. More details to come. Sponsored by the MD Anderson Postdoctoral Association.
- The Society of Toxicologyis hosting a webinar in celebration of National Postdoc Appreciation Week. The webinar, for international postdocs and senior graduate students in toxicology, is titled "From Postdoc to Permanent Position: A Panel Discussion for Non-US Citizen Early Scientists" and will be held on September 30 at 2:00 PM.
- On September 22 at 3:00 PM at the Virginia Commonwealth University Office of Postdoctoral Services will hold an event where Dr. Richard Nowakowski, NPA Board member, will be the featured speaker. Dr. Nowakowski is the Randolph L. Rill Professor and Chair of the Department of Biomedical Sciences at Florida State University. His research interests are in cell proliferation and neuronal migration in the developing and adult CNS. Following Dr. Nowakowski's talk there will be a picnic for all attendees (FREE FOOD!!).
- On September 22 the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) will host its annual postdoc appreciation event. A short program will introduce the organization's Linus Pauling Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellows, feature a speeches by the Associate Laboratory Director for National Security who started at PNNL as a postdoc, and the Lab Director and Deputy Director for Science and Technology, and a reception following the presentations. The event is open to all PNNL staff.
- The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center will be celebrating National Postdoc Appreciation Day on September 24 by having a party for postdocs and those who support them. There will be food, beer, and a Beatle's Rock Band video game set up in the cafeteria.
- The Medical College of Wisconsin will be celebrating National Postdoc Appreciation day on Friday, September 24, by distributing t-shirts in the morning to make the postdocs more visible on 'their' day and will host a happy hour from 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM.